Selling a house is a tremendous task, one that requires the expertise and attention to detail that only certain real estate agents are guaranteed to provide. Sellers have command of the marketplace, due to higher median price points, unprecedented low sale inventory, and rising mortgage rates. Every seller’s situation is different, however. A REALTOR® is the seller’s best friend, helping to navigate the unique and complex decisions that home selling requires.
What is a Realtor®?
A Realtor® is a state-licensed real estate salesperson who belongs to the National Association of Realtors® (NAR). They are held to a higher standard for professional development, after passing their state licensing exam and joining NAR. They are held to a strict code of ethical conduct, including the mandate to look out for clients’ interests with transparency and honesty.
If the REALTOR® is in the OneKey® MLS regional coverage area, they also have the ability to list your home on OneKey® MLS (Multiple Listing Service), the largest MLS source for listings in the region, that reaches a network of 45,000 REALTORS® and their clients as well. This means more exposure and more opportunity for the seller to find a buyer. Between March 2021 and March 2022, Realtors® sold well over 54,000 residential properties in the region alone.
Every REALTOR® is a real estate agent, but not every agent is a REALTOR®. Agents may not be held to the same standards of ethical conduct or professional development. Always choose a REALTOR®.
Why should I choose a REALTOR®?
In addition to their access to the MLS, their mandated standard of practice, and adherence to ethical guidelines, REALTORS® are consummate professionals.
- They know the business. They work in and around entire communities and have tons of neighborhood connections. They know other Realtors® in the area, and they also have a huge professional network of mortgage brokers, real estate attorneys, home inspectors, general contractors, designers, home stagers, etc. It is much easier to navigate the selling waters when a REALTOR® is at the helm of your property’s sale, able to call other reliable professionals when the need arises.
- Realtors® also know the numbers. They’re market experts, who can accurately research comps (‘comparables’ that is, recently sold homes similar to your home in the area). They use this information in conjunction with statistics and professional experience to help you decide on valuable pre-sale renovations and a reasonable list price. Every home has unique features, so how much can you expect to profit? Would it be better to add a new roof, to refinish the floors, or to buy a new set of appliances? How important is curb appeal, really? Trust a REALTOR® to be your research and renovation guru.
- Realtors® appreciate how big this decision is. Because they work with clients directly, they understand the physical, emotional, and psychological gravity surrounding the selling process. Your home has been a place of growth, where decisions and memories were made. The experts are compassionate with the transition. They help you pack up your significant moments to prepare them for your next step and they keep you focused on your reasons for moving in the first place. Share your story with a Realtor®, and you’ll have an ally when you need one.
- If selling your current home will be accompanied by relocating and buying a new home, your Realtor® may also be the best person to help you find that new home, or to connect you to another Realtor® who will better be able to serve you in the market you’re hoping to move to.
There are so many Realtors® in the region – how can I pick one?
Sellers are welcome to search the OneKey® MLS Directory of Realtors® and participating offices to find the contact information for the perfect selling agent, but choosing from among our 45,000 Realtors® may seem daunting. There are a few steps to take to make the process easier.
- Get referrals from people in your neighborhood. Call former neighbors that have recently moved away. Ask your local online social groups for recommendations. Who did they use to sell their house? Who are the big players in the community? Start with these professionals who have proven experience selling in your area.
- Test their communication skills. When you’re selling a house, you’ll need a REALTOR® who has the time to respond to you quickly. In the housing market, more than a few hours can make a big difference. Contact a few agents and see whose communication style and response time is a good fit.
- When you find a Realtor® who is communicative and interested in selling, don’t be afraid to interview them. Ask about their business, their professional experience, and how many listings they currently have on the market in your local area. Ask what percent of their listings have sold in the past 6 months. Ask about their marketing strategy, their thoughts on social media marketing and physical marketing (like yard signs and flyers), and what their advertising budget per listing is. The right professional will have answers to these questions and be eager to share, and you’ll know when the fit seems right.
There has never been a better time to sell.
Visit our directory to find a Realtor® to help you turn your selling dreams into a reality.