With over $17 billion in sales in 2019, the MLS is a powerful tool to get your home sold.
Here’s the inside scoop on how MLS works so you can get ahead of the real estate competition.
The real estate and rental site Zillow receives 36 million visits per month, according to a report in January 2019. It’s one of the most popular ways to explore the real estate market – but have you ever wondered where the site gets its data?
Zillow’s popularity is fueled by data from Mulitple Listing Service. This MLS is where REALTORS® upload their listings so they can be shared and sold by thousands of cooperating REALTORS®. And Zillow uses this data in their marketing services, however; it is not always accurate, because Zillow is not the original source of this data. MLS is!
It’s a common misconception that reports from Zillow are generated from their own proprietary data. In fact, MLS is the most accurate source for real estate data, supplying that same data to Zillow, realtor.com, and other competitors.
What does this mean for consumers?
First, buyers can search thousands of available listings and can rest assure that the information found on MLS is accurate and not outdated.
Second, MLS is a powerful way to get your home sold. Why? The MLS puts your home in front of thousands of buyers and REALTORS®.
Top MLS Features
An MLS listing database is considered accurate as far as property details and market numbers on the internet or elsewhere. MLS maintains a high level of accuracy in the information that’s entered: as a result, property buyers and sellers can go straight to the source to get the most reliable real estate information for their specific market.
For buyers and sellers in the Long Island and Hudson Gateway area, ONEKEYMLS.com is the official site of Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.(MLSLI) and Hudson Gateway MLS (HGAR).
Here are a few features that buyers and sellers can take advantage of on One Key’s site:
- Find your next home tool: Search through thousands of up-to-date, available properties
- Find an upcoming open house: Buyers who are seriously in the market can take advantage of this tool to find the home of their dreams.
- Search available rentals: Not sure where you want to put down roots? Search thousands of rentals.
- Housing stats and market reports: Each month, we publish reports on market trends and conditions, we are the original source for this information.
The best feature of MLS?
It’s deep and accurate data reports. For example, here’s what MLSLI.com has to report on the 2019 real estate market:
- Long Island’s median home price increased 4.5% increase over 2018.
- Nassau County reported a 2.88% increase
- Suffolk County reported a 6.64% increase
- Queens reported an increase of 2.24%
Bottom line: MLS maintains a high level of accuracy in the information entered. That’s why the local MLS internet feeds and search systems are considered the most accurate and up to date, better than sites like Zillow.
With over $17 billion in sales so far, the MLS is a powerful tool to get your home sold.