On April 18, 1927, the grandest and most magnificent Theatre in the history of Nassau County opened its doors to the public. It was billed as, "The Theatre Classic of Long Island". The much-anticipated event was greeted by a host of celebrities and dignitaries of the day including the infamous Mayor Jimmie (Beau James) Walker and W.C. Fields. The Theatre was the dream of theatrical impresario Michael Glynne who wished to give Long Island a palatial playhouse where the finest silent movies of that era would be screened, along with a stage where the top vaudeville entertainers would perform. The builder of the lavish Floral Theatre, whose name appears on all official documentation, was John McNeil who later became mayor of the village. The first silent movies to be shown at the Theatre were "The Princess of Hoboken" and the Hal Roach comedy "Duck Soup". Movies were accompanied by various dance troupes, vaudevillians, and newsreels. A $25,000 concert organ was installed.. Superior Condit.